Friday, March 20, 2009

Working Out at Home: The Realities

Lately I've been writing a lot about ways you can work out on your own, such as designing your own strength routine, watching Exercise TV, or simply walking outdoors. With the right plan in place there's really no reason you need a gym membership...in theory.

In practice, however, it can be a struggle to exercise in your living room. The reason is simple: you only go to the gym to get a workout (unless you have other reasons you like to hang out there---I don't judge). But your home is many things: a sanctuary, a restaurant, an office, a daycare center...you see where I'm going. There are about a million daily distractions that can pull your attention away from yourself. I have a friend that I train at home, and our sessions are often interrupted by dogs running in and out of the room, seeking attention, licking our faces and ears if we do so much as a pushup. Imagine how hard it is, then, for a mother of young children---any children---to take this kind of time for herself.

Another issue is motivation. Personally, I don't push myself nearly as hard when I'm alone as I do when other people are around. Maybe I'm competitive; or maybe it's that historically I've worked out in the same gym where I work, and it doesn't look too good if the trainer is slacking. The point is, it's easier to decide not to finish that last set when no one's watching.

So I get out of the house to train most of the time. Similarly, anyone trying to go it alone needs to pay close attention to what those things are that derail their workouts, and then address or avoid those distractions. If the fridge is calling your name mid-Taibo, then plan on eating something in advance to fuel your exercise session. If you work from home, put your phone on silent. If you have small children, try to schedule your workouts to coincide with naptime. Life is always going to get in the way, but you can be ready for it.

No comments: