But you don't have to abandon exercise all together. Remember that the reason we go to the gym at all is that modern conveniences like cars and remote controls have eliminated the need ever to get up off our asses. Fortunately, there's plenty to do over the holidays to help you meet your movement quota:
- Dig your grandpa's car out when, trying to pull out of the driveway, he plows into a snowbank.
- Go for an invigorating outdoor stroll when your parents start espousing the gospel of Glenn Beck.
- Cheerfully agree to pitch in whenever your Gossip Girl DVD marathon is interrupting by someone asking that you set the table, take the dog out, or break up your little cousins' screaming match.
- Fake a headache and, while shutting yourself in a room to get away from everyone, squeeze in some push-ups and squats.
- Use last-minute shopping as an excuse to walk the mall (those prone to elevated blood pressure should be sure to avoid meandering double-wide-stroller pushers).